Monday, February 22, 2010

Yesterday

I had dinner at my brother and sister-in-law’s house. They had people from their ward coming over that evening for dessert. I stayed for just a few minutes after people came, because I had to leave to go to a church meeting. But even those few minutes with their ward members were enough for for me to have this funny (albeit all too typical) experience:

I’m sitting on the piano bench. This girl is setting in front of me on the loveseat, and my brother and sister-in-law are sitting on the couch opposite, putting both this girl and myself directly in their view, as she says:

“I was going to major in social work, but I decided I just couldn’t, because I care about kids too much.”

At which point they both look directly at me, I look directly at both of them, and we’re all sort of trying not to laugh. She goes on in this same stupid vein of conversation, so my sister-in-law finally says “Um, Heather’s a social worker.”

Too funny.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, my. Heather, that is so funny! Is that a direct quote? Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty much. The sad part is that you wouldn't believe how many times someone has told me something almost exactly like this. It was just funnier this time because my family was there to watch it unfold. :)

    ReplyDelete