Thursday, October 14, 2010

Refreshing

I visited an adoptive family this week whom I've visited several times before. I always enjoy visiting them because they're very entertaining: warm, hospitable, chatty, and a little all over the place. They're also devout Catholics who love Mormons. Every time I visit them they remember that I'm Mormon and they get real excited about it. The reason I was visiting them this time is because they recently brought their daughter home from China. When they remembered I was Mormon, the conversation went something like this:

Them: Hey, did you know there's no Mormons in China? That you can't be Mormon there?

Me: (sort of laughing, thinking of the odds that there really aren't any Mormons in all of China) What do you mean there's no Mormons in China? Like they won't let me in?

Them: Oh, no, we mean there's no Mormon churches in China.

Me: I thought there weren't any churches in mainland China.

Them: No, there are. Our driver just told us they won't allow Mormon churches. Isn't that weird? I mean, why single out that one church? How random.

(read this next part in a sort of you're-shooting yourself-in-the-foot tone of voice)

Them: I mean why would want to keep Mormons out? That's the one group you'd want to let in. Decent, hard-working Mormons.

And then we talked about the BYU honor code.

2 comments:

  1. Erin, you literally made me laugh out loud. I love that you had the guts to post that in a semi-public forum. But upon reflection, yes, that's a pretty accurate comparison. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I erased it a couple of times, and thought about adding some sort of disclaimer or explanation, but in the end, realized that you would know what I meant, so it was okay! Love you!

    ReplyDelete