Friday, January 30, 2026

Design

I've spent this snow week mostly at home, reading, reflecting, baking, etc. I read an interesting book on design by Nate Berkus, and it's got me thinking about my own preferences and style. I clearly lean minimalist and with less visual clutter. But I also like beauty - flower boxes, landscapes, art, color, wood, mosaic floors. Some may say my style - both in home design and clothes - is too steady, too predictable, perhaps a bit boring, but I prefer to think of it as just my own, a little flair in all the steadiness, as a good friend once described it to me. 

Reading and reflecting on this book also made me realize why I was uncomfortable with an old roommate's style, though I love her and was appreciative that she furnished our space. But the glass table, mirrors, and black leather furniture didn't suit me. They still wouldn't. And when I moved into my own home - nearly 20 years ago now, something I surely didn't anticipate - I wanted to make it mine, even with limited means. I decided I do like: space, (to my surprise) colored metal, punches of style in doorknobs, art, a few plants, windows/natural light/views, memories and reminders of things I love. 

Nate's book got me thinking about a rug for a little unexpected comfort in my closet, a mushroom ottoman for more seating/storage in my living room (currently in my space) and someday, metal mesh on cabinet doors (something I had never considered, though I do stare at the grate a lot in the temple and consider it). 

No comments:

Post a Comment