Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Am I a rock? An island?

Who else likes that old Simon and Garfunkel song "I am a rock, I am an island?" For some reason it really amuses me. My sister says I'm way too much of a rock/island and need to let people in more (but that's a whole other post). I listened to that song at work the other day and was entertained. Then I had a more entertaining conversation with my boss. For starters, those of you who don't know what I do should know that I have interns. I fix people. I digress...what I really meant to say was I'm fairly autonomous in what I do, which I like, being the island and all, and I also travel a fair amount - I'm probably out of the office 1-3 days/week visiting adoptive families. I try to keep my boss informed of where I am, but honestly, it's so common for me to be gone that I've been on vacation for a whole week or more before and when I've come back no one thinks to ask "Oh, were you on vacation?" I find it fairly amusing. Last Wednesday in the midst of a conversation with my boss about 10 other things, I informed her I'd be out of the office Friday and Monday - but then I realized I just overloaded her with information so I said "Oh, sorry, that's probably too much information, right?" And she said "Yeah, just the day of is probably good...and honestly, if you weren't here, I'd probably just think you were out on a visit or something." To which I replied "I know, I told my friends the other day I could be dead for 2 or 3 days and no one would know." She immediately agreed. And then said "How sad is that? I would check on you eventually." Not so reassuring but very amusing.

3 comments:

  1. I think if you are a rock you are a gem, and if you are an island you are tropical. Take it as a compliment.

    Did I ever tell you this is my family's song? "I am a rock, I am a Bylund." There are many variations on the chorus, the funniest being the sons-in-law who get to sing, "I bought a rock (i.e. diamond ring), I got a Bylund."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your stories. Yes, I do love that song too!

    ReplyDelete