Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Oh, the difference of perspective

When I was a full-time missionary, my companion and I were knocking doors one Saturday morning when we were stopped by the police. They said they had a report that two women were going door to door and looked suspicious. It was so strange. Even though it was a Saturday morning we had found almost no one home, and we certainly hadn't had any negative conversations with anybody - so we were both confused, and I think we responded with something really clever like "Really? Us?" The policemen showed us the report on their computer in the patrol car to help us to believe it and read us the report - 2 women in their mid-20s, one Asian, one Caucasian, on Santa Anita Avenue, looking suspicious - so we were like oh, yeah, I guess that's us, since no one else is around. They asked us if we were Mormon, and when we said yes they said "yeah, we figured, we're just obligated to check out all reports," and went on their way. So just as they leave my companion says "Sister, did you hear that?" And I say "I know. Bizarre. We haven't even talked to anyone really." To which Sister Dun, who joined the church at about 25 and was about 30 at this time says "No, did you hear that? They think I'm in my mid 20s!"

I thought of this story Monday when I went to my local Enterprise friends to rent a car for work. I haven't been there in some time, so I met some new Enterprise friends this time. The new guy helping me out had to call someone to get me a car and as he did so he said to the guy "There's a young lady here who's ready for her car" or something like that. To which I thought "Really? Young lady?" (For some reason that just sounds like a phrase a dad would use - now, young lady, I'm disappointed in you...) and this guy seriously had to be younger to me. Now that I'm pushing 30, I was elated. He must have overlooked the date of birth on my driver's license. I thought of Sister Dun, and now my delight at being thought of as younger, and laughed.

1 comment:

  1. That's a great story! I love it! I can just imagine Sis. Dun grinning and laughing at that one. I bet she smiled the rest of that day.

    ReplyDelete