Monday, June 1, 2009

Universal Recipient

It's a bit embarrassing to admit how much of my information I've got from:

NPR
BYU Magazine
In-flight magazines
Newspapers (WSJ when I worked in the corporate world, Ft. Worth Star-Telegram when I lived at my parents' house, and I think we even got some paper in college for a semester)

It's from these sources that I first learned of:

Facebook
Harry Potter
Twilight
Blogging
The Soloist
Tivo

and other cultural trends that I really should have probably been aware of in some other way.

About a year ago I read this article in an in-flight magazine about vacations - basically the author was saying that after you go on a long vacation you have an inevitable let-down when you return to reality, so maybe we should all just take shorter, more frequent vacations. I've given his point a lot of thought. I'm not sure you get quite the feeling of being fully away on a shorter vacation that you do on a long one. But, I do think I should go on vacations regularly, because without short breaks life just becomes so grating.

So I guess I want the best of both worlds - long and short vacations. Frequently. I'm fixin' to test this theory again by taking a long vacation very soon. Am I so spoiled by appreciating both? Probably so. But at least you know I'm happy either way. It's like my result for the love language test - I need to be shown love in every language. Sounds a bit needy. But, maybe I'm the universal recipient. However you show love, I'll feel it. I think that's quite accommodating of me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment