Recently I was in a Sunday School class where the teacher mentioned that last General Conference there were 31 invitations issued to us by President Monson. This piqued my interest, so I went back and reread all of his talks from April's conference, looking for statements that I saw as direct invitations to action. I only counted 25. Can you find more?
1. May we continue to be faithful in performing [temple] ordinances, not only for ourselves but also for our deceased loves ones who are unable to do so for themselves.
2. May I suggest that if you are able, you might consider making a contribution to the General Missionary Fund of the Church.
3. Do not subject yourself to the innuendo and outright filth which are so often found there. (many movies, television shows, music lyrics)
4. I plead with you not to use [profane language].
5. I implore you not to say or to do anything of which you cannot be proud.
6. Stay completely away from pornography.
7. Avoid alcohol and tobacco or any other drugs, also addictions you would be hard pressed to conquer.
8. If you have not read the Book of Mormon, read it.
9. If you do not already have a testimony of these things (of restored gospel), do that which is necessary to obtain one.
10. Attend church.
11. You young men, attend seminary or institute if such is available to you.
12. Cease any unrighteousness. Talk with your bishop. Whatever the problem, it can be worked out through proper repentance.
13. Find someone with whom you can be compatible. (to singles)
14. Choose a companion carefully and prayerfully; and when you are married, be fiercely loyal to one another.
15. [Your spouse] is not to be demaned or insulted but should be respected and loved.
16. Safeguard [the gift of the priesthood], treasure it, live worthy of it.
17. Secure a temple recommend and regard it as a precious possession, for such it is.
18. Always have the temple in your sights. (to the teenagers)
19. It would be a fine thing if parents would have in every bedroom in their house a picture of the temple so their children from the time they are infants could look at the picture every day until it becomes a part of their lives...I plead with you to teach your children of the temple's importance.
21. May we make whatever sacrifices are necessary to attend the temple and to have the spirit of the temple in our hearts and in our homes.
22. May we follow in the footsteps of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
23. May we long remember the messages we have heard. As we receive the issues of the Ensign and Liahona magazines which will contain these messages in written form, may we read and study them.
24. May we be good citizens of the nations in which we live and good neighbors in our communities, reaching out to those of other faiths as well as to those of our own. (As a sidenote, Elder Ballard made a remarkable statement about neighborliness and missionary work in his talk).
25. May we be examples of honesty and integrity wherever we go and in whatever we do.
Searching for invitations was a really enlightening way to study the prophet's words. Some were easy to find (#8, for example); others stung a bit more.
Somehow categorizing my study this way reminded of a suggestion I heard once to study your patriarchal blessing under these headings: Who Am I? (you, your potential, destiny, relationship with God); promises; admonitions (counsel, warnings, reminders). That was also very enlightening.
Sunday, July 10, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment