One week prior to General Conference, I asked my mom if I could re-gift to her the honey she was kind enough to give me two years ago. She declined, so I concluded I would likely just need to throw it out. Why? Not because I don't love honey, mind you, but because I almost never use it. Maybe once every three months, maybe less. And my honey container is rather large. 80 ounces. 5 pounds. (I just checked). I've probably only used 1/6th of it. Which would be okay, except that I don't have a pantry. So I store my food in two shelves that were probably intended for dishes. Which is mostly okay, except it means if anything is too tall it has to go on its side. Which means that the honey constantly drips on my shelves, and from time to time I have to clean up honey. Ergo, I decided it was time for it to go.
And then Elder Ballard started talking about honey and honeybees in General Conference. He talked about how honey has all the nutrients needed to sustain life. He talked about how one single honeybee spends its entire lifetime focused on making honey (collecting pollen, contributing to the work of the hive) and yields just 1/12 tsp. honey. He had my attention. I texted my mom and told her I supposed I couldn't throw out my honey anymore. Elder Ballard left me wanting to be a little honeybee, to "pollinate the world with the pure love of Christ and His gospel." I'm falling short in efforts so far, but I'm determined to keep at it.
I've also been giving a lot of thought to President Packer's talk. I was riveted by his account of his experience in Polynesia, when a hymn I've long appreciated, "Brightly Beams Our Father's Mercy," came to life for him. Sure, I've had hymns where I feel like each word means something to me...probably too many to count, honestly, but I'm not sure I've ever lived one like he has, and if I was going to live one out in real life, I don't think I'd pick this one...maybe instead I'd live out that hymn where they eat very little meat. Or where the birds warble on the heather.
I love the image of our Father's mercy as the lighthouse on the island. And I love that He gives to us the responsibility of keeping the lower lights along the shore, of showing to our fellow brothers and sisters the path through the reef. I've been thinking of it as literally holding a lantern over a stone and saying, in effect, "here, here, come and see...(to paraphrase President Hinckley) come and bring what you have and see if we can add to it, if we can bring you closer to the Father's full love and mercy...come and see the way to eternal families, come and see the way to the gift of the Holy Ghost." John 1:8. "Sure, you can feel the love of God out there, and His mercy touches everyone, but see if there isn't more. Let me help you feel His love for you." I feel like I saw my brother do this last week in his church talk when dozens of family and friends were gathered together for his daughter's blessing. He taught boldly, but entirely in love and meekness. I want to be better at doing this for all around me.
On a completely unrelated note, I just logged into FamilySearch and next to my name saw this link: "Add or find husband." Oh, FamilySearch. If only it were that easy.
Sunday, October 21, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You make me laugh out loud. Miss you.
ReplyDeleteI love that link on family search... it seems to be broken everytime I try it however cause it never finds a husband for me :)makes me laugh every time!
ReplyDelete